Today in class we introduced the prose continuum and discussed techniques for writing closed for prose and our rhetorical analysis essay.
- Sign up for a conference
- Conference registration closes at 4pm
- You must be signed in to your FIU email to access the sign up sheet
- Rhetorical Analysis Draft 1
- 250+ words
- Should include your introduction
- Printed copy brought to class (and your conference appointment)
Today in class we introduced strategies for reflective writing and began to analyze the rhetoric within our chosen source with the help of our group members.
Link for class activity: The Park
- Blog Entry 3
- Prompt: Reflect on your chosen article
- Now that you have selected an article for use with your rhetorical analysis, read through it once and reflect on the source.
- Try to touch upon all four stages of reflection in this blog entry. Keep your concrete experience (a summary of the article) to only one or two sentences. Focus on your feelings, what you learned from the article, and how you can apply what you have learned in the future.
- Sign up for a conference by Monday 9-12
- Conference Sign Up Link
- Conferences will be held over a week long period, but you must sign up by Monday
- Sign into your FIU email in order to access the sign up page
- Enter your name at a time available
- Bring a printed copy of your Rhetorical Analysis draft to the conference
Today in class we introduced evaluative writing and began our class media presentations.
Week 2 Day 2
- Read A&B 167-173
- Blog Entry 2
- Prompt: Which class presentation was best and why?
- Now that you have a better understanding of evaluative writing and the criteria we are using to judge our media presentations, identify which presentation you considered to be the best in our class, and give examples and explanations of why you chose this presentation. This evaluation should be based on the grading criteria we have discussed in class. You should give specific examples from the presentation to support your evaluation.
- Note: you may not select your own group project.
Today in class we had our first quiz, introduced strong response writing as a genre, and examined our rhetorical analysis assignment sheet and sample student essays.
Rhetorical Analysis Assignment Sheet
Rhetorical Analysis Sample 1
Rhetorical Analysis Sample 2
- Read A&B p 78-88
- Continue to work on Media Presentations
Today in class we concluded our rhetorical context activity, reviewed for the upcoming quiz, discussed how rhetorical appeals are used in different genres of media, and introduced the media presentation project.
Week 1 Day 3
- Prepare for the upcoming quiz
- Begin work on your media presentations (starting Wednesday 8-31)
Today in class we continued our activity with rhetorical appeals, introduced rhetorical context, discussed how digital media has changed the way people share and acquire information, and began to analyze the rhetorical context of different types of media.
Week 1 Day 2
- Read A&B 7-12 and 42-50
- Create a blog for class and submit the URL via email
- Blog entry 1